Frequently Asked Questions

Transferring/Transfer Credit

Q. How can I find out more information about transferring to UCSB or transfer admission requirements?

A. See the transfer student section of the admissions website at:

Q. What will happen with the courses/units I completed beyond the 105 transferable quarter (70 semester units) at my community college?

A.  For information about lower division credit limits, see:

Q. I think I completed my IGETC or UC Reciprocity. What do I do now?  

A. Make sure that you have the official IGETC worksheet or Letter of Reciprocity sent from the issuing institution to the UCSB Office of Admissions.  Note: You must be eligible for a full or partial IGETC or UC reciprocity prior to matriculating to UCSB.  If you have questions, please see your College advisors. 

College of Letters & Science studentsInformation about IGETC, partial IGETC, and UC reciprocity can be found at

Q. I satisfied my IGETC, do I have anymore GE’s left to complete?

A. For College of Letters & Science and College of Engineering, IGETC satisfies all Area A-G, special subject and writing requirements but does not cover the Entry Level Writing or American History and Institutions requirements. However, a course from your previous school might have fulfilled these requirements.  Check your Major Progress Check to see if these requirements are fulfilled.  College of Creative Studies students, see your College advisors.

Q. When will my New Student Profile be available?

A. Your New Student Profile is a reflection of courses taken prior to enrolling at UCSB.  It can be found on the Progress tab on GOLD.  New Student Profiles for incoming students are processed during the summer and may not be available until mid-Fall quarter. If your New Student Profile is not available and you need to enroll in a course with a pre-requisite, see the “Enrolling in courses” section.  

Q. Why has my New Student Profile not been updated?

A.  Since the New Student Profile only reflects course work taken prior to transfer, it will not be updated. For current progress towards your degree, access your Major Progress Check, also found on the progress tab on GOLD.

Q. Should I enroll in a course even though I think I might have taken something similar at my community college?

A. You may only receive credit for a course once. If you are unsure about course equivalency credit for a major course, speak with the undergraduate major advisor in the major department. For course equivalency questions regarding all other courses, contact your College advisors. 

Enrolling in Courses

Q. Who do I talk to if a course I want to enroll in has a pre-requisite that I think I took at a previous institution?

A. Course transferability can be found on your New Student Profile, available on the Progress tab on GOLD. If you have taken non-UCSB courses that are not on your New Student Profile that you hope will count as prerequisites for UCSB courses, you must bring a copy of your transcript to the appropriate department (the department in which you are attempting to enroll in a course) for verification. Staff in that department can then mark your record to show that you have fulfilled the prerequisite(s) needed for the course you wish to take.

College of Letters & Science: For more information about course transferability and pre-requisites see:

Q. What classes should I sign up for?

A. Contact the undergraduate major advisor in your intended major for guidance on courses to take in preparation for your major. In addition to any remaining GE requirements (if applicable) you will also want to consider taking elective courses that will fulfill overall unit requirements.  You should enroll in 12 units (not including wait listed courses) by the end of your first available pass time and then adjust your schedule during subsequent pass times.

Q. What is an elective course?

A. An elective course is any course that satisfies unit requirements but does not apply towards GE, major or minor requirements. Elective units may be necessary to reach full time quarterly enrollment and total unit requirements for graduation. You might consider using elective units to explore another major/ minor, or participate in opportunities such as research, UCDC, UCCS or study abroad. For more information see your College advisors.

Q. What if a class I want to enroll in is full?

A. If a course you are trying to enroll in is full, check the department website for a department crash policy and, if not available, add yourself to the wait list on GOLD and then show up on the first day of class (lecture or section, whichever comes first) and follow the professor’s “crash” instructions.

For instructions on adding yourself to a course waitlist, see:

Q. What if a course I want to enroll in is not full but I still cannot add it?

A. If a course is not full (or does not have a wait list) but you are unable to add the course, check the Pre-requisite or restriction tab. If you have questions regarding any pre-requisites or restrictions, contact the undergraduate major advisor in the department in which you are attempting to enroll in the course.

Q. Why does my course have two meeting times and which one do I enroll in?

A. Large courses at UCSB typically have discussion sections along with lectures every week. When enrolling on GOLD, enrolling in the smaller section will automatically enroll you in the lecture.

Q. I was given an add code.  How do I use it to add a course?

A. Search for the course on GOLD, select add and then enter the four digit add code. Add codes override all restrictions but can only be used during an open pass time. 


Q. How can I verify if I have completed my pre-major and prep for the major work for my intended major?

A. Visit your department website for information about pre- and prep for the major coursework and then contact the undergraduate advisor in the department with any additional questions. Department undergraduate advisors may send an email to your UCSB email account (umail) requesting transcripts of your transfer work prior to junior transfer orientation.

Q. When should I talk to my major advisor or college advisor?

A. See the following chart for information regarding meeting with College advisors versus department undergraduate major advisors.

Q. How do I change my major?

A. If the Fall quarter has already begun or your New Student Profile has been created you will submit change of major paperwork to your intended major department. Check the department website or speak with the undergraduate major advisor for instructions and any additional documentation that may be required. If the fall quarter has not yet begun and your New Student Profile has not yet been created, you should email the Office of Admissions with your change of major request.

Q. Can I double major as a junior transfer?

A. To discuss if a double major is possible, see your College advisors.

For College of Letters & Science students: please see or speak with a College of Letters and Science academic advisor in the Transfer Student Center.

Q. Who should I talk to if I am struggling in my courses?

You should consider talking to your professors and TA’s during office hours, visiting CLAS ( for individual and group services or attending a study skills workshop at the Transfer Student Center.

Q. Who should I talk to if I am struggling in my major?

A. There are a range of resources on campus including your undergraduate major advisor and your College advisors to discuss academic resources and options. You may also consider talking to your professors and TA’s during office hours. 

Academic Policy

You should always go see your College advisors to discuss any of these topics.

Q. What do I do if I was put on probation last quarter?

A. Information about probation and academic disqualification can be found at the following websites:

College of Letters & Science

College of Engineering

College of Creative Studies: see College advisors 

Q. Can I repeat a course to improve my grade?

A. For information about repeating courses, see:

College of Letters & Science

College of Engineering

College of Creative Studies: see College advisors

Q. Which courses can I choose for the pass/no pass grading option?

A. Students considering enrolling in a course P/NP should meet with their College advisors to address the implications of this grading option.

For information about the P/NP grading option, see:

Q. Can I stay longer than two years to complete my major?

A. Depending on your College, this may be possible. For review of your particular situation, see a College advisor. 

Additional Opportunities

Q. How do I get involved in research?

A. Visit the website or undergraduate major advisor in your department for information regarding research eligibility requirements and opportunities. Workshops regarding gaining research and presentation skills, as well as, information about the Transfer Student Research Award, Faculty Research Assistance Program (FRAP) and Undergraduate Research and Creative Activities (URCA) Grant can be found at the Transfer Student Center.

Q. How do I get credit for an internship?

A. Internship credit is only awarded through departments so speak with your undergraduate major advisor about opportunities and possible GPA requirements.  For information about finding internships, visit Career Services ( or attend the “Job & Internship Search” workshop at the Transfer Student Center (

Q. Can I study abroad as a Junior Transfer?

A. Yes!  However, since not all quarter and destination combinations may work with your major, we suggest seeing both your major advisor and College advisors to discuss the possibilities.  

For information about studying abroad as a junior transfer, see: